Draft strategy and background information
The first draft Gwydir Regional Water Strategy, which considers urban water needs, reliable water supply and the environment, was on public exhibition from 25 September – 13 December 2020.
The draft strategy was a set of 3 documents:
- Regional Water Strategies Guide (PDF, 3559.18 KB)
- Draft Gwydir Region Water Strategy (PDF, 15820.21 KB)
- Draft Gwydir Long List of Options (PDF, 5090.76 KB)
What we heard
Over 50 stakeholders participated in the engagement program and 32 formal submissions were received. Key themes that emerged during this consultation include climate and modelling, Aboriginal water rights and connection to Country, environmental health and connectivity, new and existing water infrastructure, groundwater, and entitlement reliability and risk management.
- Draft Gwydir Regional Water Strategy What We Heard Report (PDF, 3205.02 KB)
- Draft Gwydir Regional Water Strategy What We Heard Summary (PDF, 181.01 KB)
A comprehensive engagement and consultation program accompanied the release of the draft strategy. This included:
- face-to-face meetings
- online webinars
- formal submissions.
We are sharing collected community and stakeholder submissions for the region along with cultural and general submissions.