Morton Boolka enhancement
- Undertaking infrastructure works to allow Traditional Owners to participate in cultural watering activities in Cawndilla Creek. Work would create some physical separation between the lakes to improve management of the lower and upper lakes while ensuring almost permanent water in Cawndilla Creek and supporting First Nations employment and local tourism.
- view the Morton Boolka enhancement package fact sheet (PDF, 572.67 KB).
Weir modifications (Menindee)
- Constructing a new fishway at Lake Wetherall and upgrading Weir 32 that could assist in improving fish passage, improving operational control and managing adverse water quality conditions.
- view the Weir modifications (Menindee) package fact sheet (PDF, 1874.19 KB).
Weir renewals on the Darling
- Including for example upgrading weirs at Pooncarie, Bourke and Collarenebri to provide greater town water security, increase fish passage and better manage Northern Basin flows.
- view the Weir renewals on the Darling package fact sheet (PDF, 1893.58 KB).
Weir modifications and assessments
- Considering a range of options including:
- reviewing long-term options for non-town weirs
- improving fish passage
- reinstating rock bar habitat.
- view the Weir modifications and assessments package fact sheet (PDF, 1867.62 KB). .
Menindee Local community benefits
- Building a cultural environmental education centre in the area, improving access to, and the safety of, Main Weir Road, and improving amenities to help promote First Nations culture, kickstart tourism and provide employment opportunities for First Nations communities
- view the Menindee Local community benefits package fact sheet (PDF, 1886.06 KB).
Wilcannia Weir (project underway – current phase: undertaking Environmental Impact Statement)
- Upgrading Wilcannia Weir by increasing the weir height, installing a new fishway and allowing dual operation to increase town water security, improve fish passage, improve water quality and deliver First Nations employment and training opportunities
- visit the project website.
Toorale Water Infrastructure Project (project underway)
- In addition to the removal of Peebles Dam (completed in 2019) the project involves modifying Boera and Homestead Dams to install fishways and pass higher rates of flow to:
- improve fish passage
- increase maximum flow rates into the Darling River
- support and maintain First Nations cultural values.
- view the project website.
Water for cultural and environmental outcomes
- Completing a strategic purchase of 15GL of water in the Northern Basin to improve connectivity between northern tributaries and the Barwon/Darling-Baaka systems, and improve cultural and environmental outcomes.
- view the Water for cultural and environmental outcomes package fact sheet (PDF, 1875.23 KB).
Town Water Supply (projects underway)
- Undertaking a range of water infrastructure projects to improve water security and quality for local towns along the Darling-Baaka system, drought proof off-river water supply options and improving storage, while ensuring fish passage outcomes.
- view the Safe and Secure Program website.
Learn more about the program with this recording of the information session from 3 November 2021.