About the course
This course covers fundamental knowledge of wastewater and its treatment. The understanding and practical skills gained in completing this course are essential for the effective operation and performance of basic treatment works (for example primarily pond based and trickling filter plants).
- Legislation; collection systems.
- Primary, secondary and tertiary treatment processes.
- Technologies covered in this course include trickling filters, oxidation ponds, aerated lagoons and basic activated sludge processes.
Length of course
This is a 5 day course.
Who should attend?
Sewage treatment works operators, engineers and managers.
Course delivery and assessment
- A 5 day workshop including:
- worksheets completed in tutorial sessions held during the course.
- visit(s) to a treatment plant including practical sessions covering operational monitoring and testing.
- a written theory exam.
- an on-site competency assessment held at the operator's own treatment works.
A Certificate of Completion – Basic Wastewater Treatment Operations will be issued by the department to successful candidates. This certificate is applicable for operating a basic wastewater treatment plant (pond and trickling filter based systems). This course is a prerequisite for Part 2 – Advanced Wastewater Treatment Operations course.
More information on course dates, locations and costs can be found in the course schedule.
Pre-preparation to attend course
It is strongly recommended that operators have a minimum of 4-6 weeks full time experience on a sewage treatment works prior to attending the course. It is also recommended that operators review the manual and mathematics tutorial examples provided. Course notes will be supplied for course study and future reference.
What is included?
Course notes and on-site examination at the operator's own treatment works. Lunch, morning tea and afternoon tea will be provided for the 5 day workshop.
What is not included?
Writing material, calculator, accommodation, other meals not specified, transport to and from the course.
How to nominate for the course
The department will send confirmation of receipt of your nomination via email within one week. Venue details, the program and a timetable will be sent to all participants approximately four weeks before the course. Please provide details of any special dietary needs on nomination.