A NSW Government website

Hunter Valley Flood Mitigation Scheme

Planning and development controls

Information on local flood planning, development and responsibilities.

Wallis Creek Flood Gates

Information on local flood planning, development and responsibilities

Any proposed development works (including fences) located in, on or adjacent to levees or within declared floodplains (as gazetted under the Hunter Valley Flood Mitigation Act 1956) must be referred to Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water for consideration under Section 256 of the Water Management Act 2000.

If you are a developer you will need council approval. Council will refer the plan to the department. You should consult with the department before submitting the final plans as this will avoid unnecessary amendments at a later stage.

The NSW Flood Data Portal also has information on flood planning and development.

Information about flooding in your area and development controls can be found on your local council website:

City of Newcastle

Maitland City Council

Port Stephens Council

Singleton Council

Upper Hunter Shire Council

Flood event contacts

Emergency call 000

Bureau of Meteorology (BOM)

The BOM website provides the community with access to weather forecasts, severe weather warnings, observations, flood information, marine and high seas forecasts and climate information.

Phone: 02 9296 1555

Hunter Forecast (BOM)

For up to date regional information.

State Emergency Service (SES)

NSW SES is the lead combat agency in flood, storm and tsunami emergencies.

Emergency call 132 500

Search their site by suburb for storm, flood and tsunami risk and advice for your area on how to plan and prepare for disasters and bad weather, what to do during the flood or storm and steps to recovery once the disaster is over.

Roads and Maritime Services

Phone 132 701 for information on road closures or see live traffic updates.

Hunter Local Land Services

Emergency call 1300 795 299 or go to the website.

NSW Department of Primary Industries

Responsible for the coordination of agriculture and animal services in emergencies.

Report damage

To report any damage to the Hunter valley Flood Mitigation Scheme please use the QR code, alterntively you can use the link below or contact us.

QR code for reporting damage.

Report damage via the form

Contact us

General enquiries

Phone: 1300 081 047 or send us a message.

For emergency flood assistance call the SES: 132 500

If your life is at risk, call 000.

Register your details to be kept up to date