About the course
This course covers fundamental knowledge and practical skills essential for effective and efficient operation of a comprehensive range of chemical dosing systems.
- Competencies required to operate chemical dosing systems in a water treatment works.
- Understanding of water treatment dosing equipment.
- Knowledge and practical skills essential for day-to-day chemical dosing operations, including disinfection, coagulant, coagulant aids, acid, alkali, activated carbon and oxidants.
Length of course
It includes 5 day face-to-face sessions and an onsite assessment on the trainee’s treatment works.
Who should attend?
Water treatment works operators, engineers and managers.
Course delivery and assessment
The course delivery activities include:
- A 5 day face-to-face workshop including:
- worksheets completed in tutorial sessions held during the course
- practical sessions on chemical dosing and testing including Jar Testing
- visit to a treatment plant including operational monitoring procedures
- a written exam with mathematics and knowledge components
- an onsite assessment is carried out to check the understanding of the trainee.
A Certificate of Completion - Chemical Dosing Systems will be issued by the department to successful candidates. This course is a pre-requisite for the Part 2 – Water Treatment Operations course.
More information on course dates, locations and costs can be found in the course schedule.
Pre-preparation to attend course
Candidates should undertake a minimum of 4 weeks full time experience in a treatment plant under the supervision of a senior operator before attending the course. Candidates should also read the training manual and attempt the tutorial examples on mathematics provided. Candidates need to practice maths skills using calculator before coming for the training.
What is included?
Course notes and ongoing support for completion of your project at the operator's own treatment works. Lunch, morning tea and afternoon tea will be provided for the 5 days.
What is not included?
Writing material, calculator, accommodation, other meals not specified, transport to and from the course.
How to nominate for the course
The department will send confirmation of receipt of your nomination via email within one week. Venue details, the program and a timetable will be sent to all participants approximately four weeks before the course. Please provide details of any special dietary needs on nomination.