Implement sound pricing and prudent financial management
- How does the utility set and structure its water supply and sewerage pricing to recover its revenue requirement, promote efficient use of water, and achieve equitable and affordable pricing and intergenerational equity?
- How does the utility implement a cost-reflective and consumption-based tariff structure, long-term stable price path and intergenerational equity?
- How does the utility set appropriate developer charges to recover the infrastructure cost of servicing growth?
- How does the utility consider payment of tax equivalents and dividends?
- How does the utility consider affordable access to essential water services for all customers?
- How does the utility ‘ring-fence’ the water supply and sewer business fund from council’s general-purpose fund?
Supplementary guidance provides more details on achieving the outcome to a reasonable standard, along with optional guidance on how to do so:
Supplementary material referred to in the guidance:
Promote integrated water cycle management
- How are urban water cycle outcomes including water security, public health, environmental and urban amenity and liveability identified, achieved and funded?
- How does the utility consider opportunities and methods to increase resource efficiency and recovery in urban water management?
- How is the local water utility supporting customers to increase water literacy and support water efficiency measures?
Supplementary guidance gives more detail on what the expectations are for achieving the outcome to a reasonable standard as well as optional guidance on how to achieve the outcome:
In our advisory and support role, the department is available to give guidance, advice, and support to local water utilities to help them understand and meet strategic planning outcomes to a reasonable standard.
Support and advice
In addition to our regulatory role, we give technical and other advice to local water utilities proactively and whenever requested by the utility. The department can assist local water utilities with developing the project from concept through to tendering and commissioning.